Built in 1927, our two-story building, adorned with vibrantly colored tiling, has been the residence of many businesses, organizations, and music venues. During its beginning decades, our building hosted the Brooklyn State Bank, the Catholic Youth Organization and the Self Help Graphics & Art Organization. It was also the home to some of East Los Angeles' most influential Chicano organizations, as well as an important community venue for Mexican youth.
During the 1950s, the building transitioned into a music venue featuring local bands such as The Midniters, Cannibal and the Headhunters, The Premiers, and The Salas Brothers. In the 1980s, the building became known as the Vex, providing a rare community venue for emerging East L.A. punk bands.
In 1987, Mexican American artist Eduardo Oropeza began ornamenting the building with embedded ceramic pieces and mosaics. Such pieces consist of vintage and irregularly broken, brightly colored ceramic recycled household items. The three-year project transformed the building into an essential part of the community. To this day, it remains a historical and artistic attraction in the heart of East Los Angeles. The building has an aura of history and cultural importance that makes every event held their now feel extra special. We are proud to add Atlantis Banquet Hall to the building's long and illustrious story.